If you find yourself struggling with social media anxiety, fear not! Social media can seem like a very overwhelming task when you want to go past just being “social” and incorporate exposing your brand and growing your fan base. Sure, you can go out and join every social media outlet known to man, with the hopes of reaching more folks, but you will fail. You can also market your brand 100% of the time, but you will probably lose the interest of your fans. Let me tell you a few secrets that are sure to make your “social media” life easier while keeping fans engaged.
1. Choose social outlets that match your brand & target market best.
Most of us use Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter. If you find that you have a strong following on any or all of these, that’s great! Keep it there! The key here is to not over exert yourself by trying to keep up with too many platforms, most of which may even be a waste of time and energy because they don’t cater to your fan demographic.
2. Stay engaged and be genuine.
I see too many musicians on social media who will display any and all narcissistic character trait that they have while ignoring opportunities for engagement with their fans. Yes you’re great, yep, we think you’re awesome too, but honey, If you don’t appreciate your fans, you wont have any! With that being said, take some time to “listen” to your fans. Follow them back, banter with them, keep things interesting. Above all, be genuine.
3. The 80/20 rule.
Don’t just jump online when you want to market your new album or tour! The 80/20 rule means that you will stick to posting personal, funny, or interesting content about 80% of the time. The other 20% can be reserved for marketing. If you market on social media more than you socialize then you run the risk of repelling your fans. DON’T DO IT! Social media should be fun and entertaining!
Here are some interesting social media statistics: